The role of our staff is as follows;-
- Liaise with, and advise subject teachers.
- Partnership with parents and other professionals
- Facilitate access of deaf pupils to the curriculum.
- Monitoring of audiological equipment.
- Regular assessment and monitoring of pupil progress
- Pre and post-tutoring and adaptation of work.
- Raising deaf awareness within the whole school.
The Department provides;-
- Technical expertise in the maintenance of the most modern hearing aids and radio aids.
- Close liaison with other agencies; educational psychologist, speech and language therapist, careers office, educational audiologist and BSL interpreter.
- Support for the pupil in both the department and in the mainstream classroom.
- Liaison with and advise for Subject and Guidance teachers.
- "Open Door" policy with parents and partners in the educational process.
- A "Total Communication" programme with pupils with severe hearing loss.
- Expertise in dealing with the language difficulties encountered by young people with hearing impairments.
- Appropriate individual educational plan for each pupils
- Skills in supporting and integrating pupils with hearing impairment into the mainstream curriculum.
- Modern technology: Computers, Minicom Telephone, Camcorders, Soundfield Systems, Promethean technology.
Hearing Impaired Department - Our Role